What Eating Habits You Must Follow if suffering from PCOD?Heal and Care Ayurveda
What is PCOD?
PCOD or Polycystic Ovarian Disease nowadays renamed as PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) is a hormonal disorder or also called as a group of symptoms common among women of reproductive age. Females with PCOS may not have frequent or lengthy menstrual periods or excess male hormones (androgen) levels. The ovaries may develop numerous small collections of fluid (follicles) and fail to regularly release an ovum.
What causes PCOD?
The cysts are mostly caused due to hormonal changes and fluctuations in the body. It can also be genetic. PCOD can also be caused due to an unhealthy lifestyle that includes little rest, poor sleep and an unwholesome diet lacking in the appropriate nutrients.
Symptoms of PCOD-
- Acne growth
- The extreme growth of facial hair
- Weight gain
- Difficulty in losing weight
- The extreme growth of body hair, which includes chest, stomach, back.
- Irregular menstrual cycle
- Extremely heavy bleeding
- Severe stomach pain and cramps during menstruation
- Problems while getting pregnant
- It can lead to repeated miscarriages
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Hormonal disorders
- It can lead to diabetes
- A higher risk of suffering from PCOD if left untreated is that it can lead to endometrial cancer
Diet for PCOD-
Following a healthy diet along with physical activities and abstaining from smoking can help in reducing the symptoms of PCOD and prevent the disease.
- Increase the intake of fresh, green veggies.
- Reducing junk, fried food and most importantly, processed food.
- Reducing the consumption of alcohol.
- Cutting down on sugary, aerated drinks.
- Reduction in dairy products, as milk may increase the levels of testosterone in the body.
- Reducing or eliminating consumption of caffeine may help to increase the chances of a fertile reproductive system.
- Eat small healthy meals at regular intervals.
- Follow dinacharya and rutucharya described in Ayurveda.
For any concern or query, you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!